May 27, 2012; Newport Beach, CA, USA; United States players huddle before exhibition game against Hungary at Newport Harbor high school. The United States defeated Hungary 12-9. From left: Merrill Moses (1), Brian Alexander (6), Tony Azevedo (8), John Mann (14), Adam Wright (5), Ryan Bailey (9), Shea Buckner (15), Jesse Smith (11), Layne Beaubin (7). Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee/Image of Sport-US PRESSWIRE
Beijing Olympian J.W. Krumpholz, who suffered a concussion prior to USA water polo's training roster announcement on June 5, was left off the London Olympic roster. John Mann, center from Corona del Mar and Cal, has made the team for the first time, as has Shea Buckner from Villa Park High School and USC.
Head coach Terry Schroeder had named a training roster of 14 players to allow more time to evaluate players due to player injuries, but the added player on the roster was most likely to see how Krumpholz recovered from his concussion.
Only Buckner, Mann and goalkeeper Chay Lapin lack Olympic experience making this one of the most seasoned rosters in United States men's water polo history. Captain Tony Azevedo and Ryan Bailey are making their fourth trip to the Olympics which is a new record for Team USA water polo.
The entire final roster includes:
- Tony Azevedo - Attacker (Long Beach, CA/Stanford ‘03/NYAC)
- Ryan Bailey - Center (Long Beach, CA/UC-Irvine ‘98/Newport WPF)
- Layne Beaubien - Defender (Coronado, CA/Stanford ‘99/NYAC)
- Shea Buckner - Attacker (Villa Park, CA/USC ‘10/NYAC)
- Peter Hudnut - Defender (Encino, CA/Stanford ‘03/NYAC)
- Tim Hutten - Defender (Seal Beach, CA/UC-Irvine ‘08/Newport WPF)
- Chay Lapin - Goalkeeper (Long Beach, CA/UCLA '09/Shore Aquatics)
- John Mann - Center (Newport Beach, CA/California ‘07/NYAC)
- Merrill Moses - Goalkeeper (Palos Verdes, CA/Pepperdine ‘00/NYAC)
- Jeff Powers - Defender (San Luis Obispo, CA UC-Irvine ‘03/Newport WPF)
- Jesse Smith - Utility (Coronado, CA/Pepperdine ‘05/NYAC)
- Peter Varellas - Attacker (Moraga, CA/Stanford ‘06/Olympic Club)
- Adam Wright - Attacker (Seal Beach, CA/UCLA ‘01/NYAC)
Head Coach Terry Schroeder was earlier quoted as saying that the final spot would "more than likely" come down to Krumpholz or center Mann. It's unknown whether Krumpholz's health played a factor in the decision.
Team USA begins Olympic play on July 29 with their first game being against Montenegro.