April 27 - 29, Canyonview Aquatics Center, UC San Diego
1. Loyola Marymount University Lions: 10-0 WWPA, 17-9 Overall
The Lions are still smarting from last year’s upset loss to UC San Diego in the championship match. Having gone undefeated in conference in 2012, including an 8-goal win over the second-seeded Tritons, LMU is primed to run away with this year’s title.
2. UC San Diego Tritons: 8-2 WWPA, 19-13 Overall
Defending champions UCSD have home pool advantage for this year’s championships, a benefit that should help carry the Tritons to the final match. But there they match up poorly, even at home, against a well tested LMU squad.
3. California State University, Bakersfield, Roadrunners: 11-4 WWPA, 22-16 Overall
The prolific Roadrunners earned over 20 wins in 2012, including 11 in conference, thereby gaining the third seed in the tournament. But only two of those wins came against top-20 opponents, and Bakersfield’s path to the championship runs through host UCSD - too tall an order.
4. California State University, East Bay, Pioneers: 10-6 WWPA, 17-11 Overall
The Pioneers were undefeated at home in 2012, an impressive record but not nearly enough to make up for lack of success against the best - one win against top-20 rivals. East Bay should match up against LMU in the semifinals, but the slim chances of playing in the championsip match will end there.
5. Santa Clara University Broncos: 7-8 WWPA, 9-25 Overall
6. California State University, Monterey Bay, Otters: 6-7 WWPA, 17-13 Overall
7. Sonoma State Seawolves: 5-10 WWPA, 9-20 Overall
8. Colorado State University Rams: 3-9 WWPA, 6-20 Overall
9. California State University, San Bernardino, Coyotes: 0-14 WWPA, 4-35 Overall